So, if you read this blog at all or know me, you know that I had an unnecessarian in 2004 for “CPD.” (Umm, I’m 5’10″ and only had an 8lb baby.) I suffered three consecutive first trimester losses. I had a repeat cesarean in 2009 for double footling breech twins. And now I am pregnant again with a singleton and planning to HBA2C in June or July.
So, my childbirth years have been heavily governed by the medical model of care. I’ve been wanting a homebirth since 2007, but the opportunity evaded me until now. I need to break up with my OB, and if you have any suggestions for when and how, I’d love to hear from you.
Should I wait until after the 20 week ultrasound? (I want this ultrasound to confirm where the placenta has attached. I already know that it is anterior, so I am concerned about accreta.)
Or should I do it now that I’m out of the 1st trimester? I already have a relationship with a midwife and will be seeing her in the next couple of weeks.
I see benefits for doing it now and for waiting. If I do it now, I have more time to trust my body, my baby, and my midwife without the temptation of ultrasound machines and other interventions. I’ve become somewhat dependent on the “bells and whistles” of obstetric care, and I don’t think they help me build that internal trust I still lack.
These are just the 8am Saturday morning musings of the over-thinking fence sitter!